Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My First Week in Vienna: The Cliff Notes version. . .

So, after much drama over whether or not this adventure would/could/should happen, things kinda worked themselves out on there own (Really, I contributed nothing other than getting a few papers signed and showing up) I found myself last Tuesday arriving at the SLC airport at 5:30am (apparently there's one of those in the morning too) and I finally realized what exactly I was doing and then met a whole bunch of new peeps who all seemed to already know what was going on (I, of course, had no clue. What else is new.) I proceeded to get on the airplane, sit awhile, get on a new plane, sit some more, get on a yet another plane, sit for an eternity and Ta-Da! I was in Europe. Well that was easy enough I guess. I pulled myself out of my state of relative consciousness and moved myself toward customs, pulled out the envelope where I had my tickets and passport, only to realize that I had my tickets, but no passport. It was gone. Gone, gone. And for good. So, perhaps not so easy after all. I will spare you the details, but after 4 hours of sitting on a bench in the airport thinking, "Well, that was a fun 14 hours of sitting, let's do it again! Hawaii's not so bad anyway" I was saved by a determined professor and the American Embassy. Cool, so I am actually going to see this city. Imagine that. Yay! Since then I have moved in with my host family, started classed, sort of figured out public transportation and tried to see everything possible in between. So far= GRAND. Here are a few pictures I've managed to capture in the process.




Where I sat for 4 hours awaiting my fate


Where my passport should have been. . .

People watching all the people that HAD passports


It was REALLY exciting


View from our Hotel Window our first night here.


Our breakfast basket :)
I don't know why this makes me so happy, but it does




My darling roomie Cassie


Waiting for the bus. . . I swear I spent more hours a day. . .









Vienna Naschmarket



Straus



Best cheese I have ever consumed. . . ever.
(I probably should have paid the guy for all the free samples I took. . . )




Happiness and Joy :)



Typical Viennese house


Just stepped of the bus, and it decided to pour rain.
500 yards later, I could have filled a kiddie pool


My Fair Lady...in German

1 comment:

  1. Ah this is oh so excellent! Looks like your adventures are simply marvelous Ambree dear!

    ReplyDelete