Sunday, May 16, 2010

25 Lesson I Learned in Prague

So after many lectures on their part (apparently I deserved it considering I've been living in the country illegally for 10 days, thanks T-Plumm), and begging on mine, the American Consulate agreed to give me a temporary passport so I would not be flying in solo in Vienna for the weekend. Yay! I threw the bare necessities in my backpack and it was off to Prague for me. It was awesome, to say the least. It was a very edifying and educational trip. For your convience, I have compiled a list of what I learned so you might also benefit from the happiness I experienced :

1. The “I-15” highway concept does not exist from Vienna to Prague, but the countryside and towns in between are gorgeous.
2. It’s epically creepy/awesome to be lost in downtown Prague after 10pm, but people speak English and will help you out.
3. Having a hostel reservation does not necessarily mean your reservation is at the hostel you reserved. You just might be relocated to the Pur Pur: Crib 15, located just a few short blocks away. Just take a left, walk through the red light district, pass a few creepy people and stop when you see all the pink.
4. You know those scenes in Taken where 7 foot tall, unshowered girls in neon hot pants and stilettos stand on street corners waiting for nasty men to find them? . . . those were not exaggerated in anyway.
5. Hostels can be surprisingly cute, cheap and safe for only 800 CZK ($40) for 3 nights
6. The colorful streets of Old Town look like something out of Pinocchio
7. The Astrological clock is awesome, but the “coming to life” is highly over rated
8. Free tours are the best way to spend an afternoon in Prague, especially when you have a knowledgeable tour guide.
9. With a knowledgeable tour guide, you can be a Czechspert too.
10. Salvador Dali was a nut job. Fascinating, but nuts
11. Pastry cylinders are very delicious, even if you are covered in powdered sugar in the end.
12. Czech waiters hate Americans. If you are lucky enough to be allowed into their restaurant, they will glare and throw things and then over charge you. And no, you can not have separate checks. All of this is intensified if you do not order alcoholic beverages/ the entire table orders water.
13. I am not the only one that randomly bursts into song at inappropriate times
14. On a rainy, cold day in Prague, sitting in a coffee shop for hours sipping hazelnut hot coco is a splendid way to enjoy it.
15. The churches in Prague are amazingly ornate and beautiful, but I still think Mormon temples win.
16. There are such things as nice waiters (at least one anyway) in Prague, and they are found in quiet places with fireplaces and delicious food.
17. Even fully grown people occasionally wet their pants
18. Prague at night is stunning, especially when concerts are performed on the water by the Charles Bridge.
19. Backpack chains work well on crowded bridges.
20. The ice cream tastes just as amazing as it looks! The pizza on the other hand. . .
21. People in Prague like spontaneous parades and outdoor concerts in strange outfits
22. Half of the things you can get while souvenir shopping in Prague you can also get at the Polynesian Cultural Center (including things that are supposedly made exclusively in Maui)
23. John Lenin is iconic, and so is seeing his tribute wall.
24. True Love is putting a lock on a fence and throwing the key in the river
25. A weekend spent backpacking Prague is a fabulous weekend indeed


If this isn't straight from Sleeping Beauty (which, btw is the best movie ever made) I don't know what is.






Our IKEA hostel. . . not bad (See #5)




(See #6)



(See #7)

So this picture was supposed to show the tinyness of the the door,
apparently I'm pretty darn short
Add Image


(See #11)


Once upon a time in 1400 AD a man tried to steal from the Virgin Mary statue with this arm. . . ooops


(see #15)


When you get lost in Prague, you find fascinating things

White peacock in garden. . . who knew


If only this picture even gave you a glimpse



Castle Cathedral (See #15)





These ladies were dancing and it was hilarious :) (See #21)


(See #23)


James Dean + John Lenin




(See #24)





So the idea is that two people in love bring a lock with their initials on it and then throw the key into the river, thus symbolizing the foreverness of their love. . . you can "awwwwww" all cutesy
now

Note the ice cream all over my face. . . so good (See #20)


So his name tag says security. . . am I the only one who finds pleasure in this irony?
Moral of the story: Visit Prague

9 comments:

  1. I love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah! i love it! wish i was there you look like you're having soooo much fun! Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so splendid. So glad you're having such a marvelous adventure. I loved reading this post very muchos. I like the one of people wetting their pants, because it is indeed true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only all hostels looked like that... not all hostels are created equal apparently. Love you and miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go back. I never saw the locks on the river, but agree with the picture that only gives a glimpse. Photos never will tell the real story of Prague. SO GLAD you got to go - now what about the pants wetting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAYAYAY! I love Austria, I love you, and I love blogging! I'm so glad someone now understnads my obsession. And yes indeed that must be the very castle sleeping beauty lives in. ah im so happy for you! Traveling the world is such a life-changing, eye opening, amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad, if you want to go back to Prague I will gladly accompany you. I wish the weather and pictures I got would have been better, but you are right, pictures will never do it justice. And the pants wetting thing is a entirely different story, but, for the record, NO, I did not wet my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww Ambree I am so happy for you it looks like you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Traditional hotel users are jumping ship in their droves and experiencing the new style of accommodation that modern hostels are offering.


    Hostel Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete