Monday, August 16, 2010

Hungry for Hungary?


Before I left Europe, seeing Budapest was on my absolute must see list. Luckily Kristin really wanted to go too, so we decided to just make a day trip out of it: leave at 7am and be back in Vienna by 10pm. I know, it sounds like kind of a hit-and run type trip and we might have cheated the city a bit, but it was our only option. So on my last Friday in Europe I pulled myself out of bed at 4:30 in the morning (after a week of insomnia and late nights) so that I could be to the bus station with public transport by 6:30. I made it on time, but unfortunately, Kristin overslept and we missed our bus :( Because neither of us had a phone and I had no way of getting a hold of her, I eventually just had to give up. It all ended up okay though because I got to spend a day in Vienna doing whatever I wanted and we still got to Budapest on Saturday. We got lucky, because a mutual friend put us in touch with the charming Taylor Merkley (who just happens to live in Budapest) and she was able to give us an tour of all the must-sees in the city. It was an exhausting day, but so worth it.
With the exchange rate, I felt very rich in Budapest. But also, everything seemed super expensive
Don't be fooled by the pretty staircase, the forever long hike to the top was not a very lovely experience. The view, however, was absolutely lovely.






The Jewish Holocaust Memorial

Views from Gellert Hill:




This looks like the ultimate sand castle to me
We concluded our day with and an hour in the baths before heading back to Vienna. Somehow, I have no pictures of that glorious experience, but if you ever go to Budapest, MAKE SURE you go to the baths.

1 comment:

  1. Ambree, I randomly searched my name on Google images and I saw the forint photo and when I saw the source, I went, "Oh, no way!" I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete