Sunday, June 19, 2011

Daddy's Day

Happy Daddy's Day! Especially to my daddy! He is all kinds of grand and wonderful.

You know, since I started this blog, I often get asked the question, "Does your dad really call you Bruce?" The answer is, "Yes, indeed. He sure does." That is always followed up with "Why Bruce?" Well, here is the reason as I remember. My dad might have a different version of the tale, but this is the origin of my nickname according to me:

When I was but a wee young cherub, I was very good at stalling when it was time to go anywhere. One of the more common ways I approached this was by delaying putting on my shoes until the last possible moment. This usually led my dad to serenade me with a chorus of "Put your Shoes of Lucy" (which, for the record, I think was a very civil way to approach the situation rather than just losing his patience at me). I, of course, having not yet fully developed my keen sense of musical metaphor, would respond with something along the lines of, "Dad, My name is not LUCY!" So my dad would change the name to Ducy or Goosey or Brucey. And somehow Brucey stuck. I have been Bruce ever since. I don't know if I was the first victim of the rhyming name game my dad always plays, but I was certainly not the last. I think Kelly will always be Smelly to him.

If you are unfamiliar with the song, I have provided the music for your listening pleasure:


My nickname is certainly not the only thing my father has bequeathed upon me. My green eyes may have come from my momma, but I'm pretty sure most of me came from my dad. This list includes (but is not limited to):


1. My Winning Smile If only I had a picture of him smiling to show you just how accurate this is.
2. My brilliant mind. My dad used to be a rocket scientist you know. For reals! He used science to build rockets! Professionally! How many of you can say that?! I daresay, few. I'm also pretty sure I've never had to use the phrase, "Come on, it's not rocket science" with my dad. He pretty much knows everything. A few years ago he went back to school just because he wanted to. He done really good too. My mom always said that one of the reason she married my dad was because he was smarter than her, unlike most of the people she was used to dating. It was also his brilliant mind that got me through math in high school. Every night at the dinner table. Once again, patience is a virtue he possesses. I should probably try to steal that one too.

3. My taste buds. (Notice how I didn't just say taste. My dad always says that all of his taste is in his mouth, except when it comes to pretty girls like my momma. This is probably pretty true.) My dad is not a big sweet eater. We would both choose chips and dip over dessert (unless is was a Silver Mint bar). For as long as I can remember, my dad has had the same salad pretty much everyday. I picked up some Italian dressing at the store last night so I could have a true Father's Day meal today. I have some popcorn too.

4. My love for Classic Rock. My childhood memories are filled with road trips soundtracked by the likes of Styx, Boston, America, Billy Joel, The Beach Boys, etc. I have since developed a pretty extensive collection in the genre. Dad doesn't much care for The Beatles or Bob Dylan, but I have forgiven him . Perhaps I can convert him in the next life.

5. My need to frequently burst into song. So if you know me, it is not news that pretty much anything is capable of inspiring a musical number. It was not a foreign concept in my house growing up that cheese or sweeping the floor may be deserving of a song belted at the top of our lungs. My dad has mad skills too. While I did not inherit his impressive piano playing ability, he is definitely the reason I can carry a tune to the back of a crowded theater. He has often been my accompanist, even when I have called upon to sing at an event last minute somewhere. One time, he even took on a role in show I was doing because someone bailed. Purely selfless, I can assure you. Pretty cool daddio, pretty cool.
So even though my dad might not be able to beat up your dad, he's still probably cooler. I prefer his non-violent nature anyways. I'm a lucky kid indeed. Thanks for being awesome dad! Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

  1. ambree this one brought a tear to my eye! amazing. simply amazing. my first experience with your dad was when he was texting me for you as you two drove across the country on your way to FL. so fun! hope he had a great fathers day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my holy dear goodness this is truly the happiest thing I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete