Thursday, July 8, 2010

Oh what do you do in the summertime?

So, I know what you are thinking. You're thinking, "Ambree spends all day everyday doing all sorts of cool cultural things all over Vienna, except of course when she is working and studying hard for her classes." Well, that was pretty true for a while, but the fact of the matter is, that's just not reality anymore. In fact, somedays I don't think I would get out of bed if I didn't have to go to my morning classes and then come back to sit through 2 torturous hours of German class. I'm just tired. And sometimes after class, I'm just done, so I go home. And those of you that know me best know that if there is one thing I'm good at, it's wasting time. I know. I know. I only have so much time to spend in this lovely place and I should make sure I don't miss out on anything and live up every moment. Well the truth is, this is the way I've been enjoying my time lately:

READING

I bought this book to read on the flight here, but that never happened. I've been meaning to read it for years, and I finally found time. I guess the good thing about getting your iPod stolen is that you no longer have anything to occupy you on the 40 min commute to school. I've filled this void by reading and my commutes have become the most productive hours of my day. I just finished this last night and it was fantastic, so read it if you haven't.

JOURNALING

I have NEVER been a journaler. At all. I have hundreds of them with 2 or three entries each and then they are left abandoned. But here in Vienna, not only is there much to write about, but I HAVE to write. The journal is homework for my advanced writing class. This is a convient justification for when I would rather draw, cut and paste or ramble instead of doing my German assignements, cause it's still homework, right? I spent lots of time making it pretty so I stay motivated to keep it up. I think I'm converted to the art.

DISNEY
I have a pretty cool brother. Example A: he put every animated Disney movie ever made (with only an exception or two) on my hard drive before I left, including a few really rare one's I've been trying to get my hands on for years. Okay, so I'm a geek, and I realize this, but I average a few of these movies a week. They make me happy, especially when the internet it not working. Thanks Brother!

Dr. HOUSE

When the internet IS working, I watch HOUSE. Oh my dear, I forgot how much I absolutely LOVE Dr. House. I LOL several times an episode. I'm a bit behind (okay maybe more than a bit, I'm only on season 4, but I haven't lived anywhere with TV in a long time, so I'm justified.) It's been a good replacement since I don't have my DVDs to get my Gilmore Girls fix. There is nothing better than a quick wit.

DAYDREAMING

So most of this daydreaming happens during German class. Ich lerne Deutsch nicht gern. Lately my fantasies have been about owning one of these beautiful Vespas. The one above is not the exact one I want, but the color scheme is right: Mint green with brown leather seats. I saw the EXACT one I want the other day parked on the street and got a little too excited to see it in person. I think the guy who owned it thought I was stalking him. . . *sigh* Someday.

So one way or another, I find ways to enjoy my time, which I have decided is more important than homework. 20 years from now, I'm not gonna look back and say, "If only I had done one more german worksheet. . . " But I know I will regret being cranky here, so this is how I deal. (Don't worry parents, my grades are still fine)

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous you have all the best disney movies right at your finger tips! I miss you and wish I could be out there playing with you!!

    ReplyDelete